Recreation, Parks, and Open Space
Palos Verdes Nature Preserve Mitigation Status Report
On January 19, 2021 the Rancho Palos Verdes City Council will consider strategies to mitigate traffic and congestion impacts associated with the Palos Verdes Nature Preserve.
RPV Beaches, Parks and Trails Open
In accordance with guidance from the County of Los Angeles, on May 13, the City of Rancho Palos Verdes reopened beaches, parks and trails, including the Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, with physical distancing required.
The City encourages residents to participate in recreational outdoor activity in their neighborhoods. If you visit these areas, please do so responsibly, be mindful of your interactions and wear a face covering. All visitors MUST practice physical distancing, staying 6 feet away from others not in their household. Face coverings are mandatory at beaches when out of the water and around others. Face coverings are required at trailheads, parking areas, and on any trails where there are other groups of people nearby. Children under age 2 and anyone who has trouble breathing should not wear face coverings.
City Staff, Park Rangers and law enforcement are monitoring these areas to ensure compliance with public health directives, and parking restrictions will be enforced. Pursuant to the City Council’s March 17 local emergency proclamation, the City may close these areas if rules are not observed by the public and conditions become unsafe.
Please note that some trails may remain closed, and some trails may have designated directions of travel to encourage physical distancing. Please check rpvca.gov/trails for up-to-date information on temporary trail closures and trail circulation plans.
The Eastview Dog Park and the Rancho Caninos Dog Park are open. The tennis court at Upper Point Vicente Park and the paddle tennis courts at Ladera Linda Park are open. Both amenities have restrictions to comply with physical distancing and safety. Basketball courts at Ryan Park and Ladera Linda are open with restrictions.
Baseball and soccer fields (individual, passive use allowed; groups and organized sports not allowed), park buildings (exterior park restrooms are open)
Trails Do’s and Don’ts
- Check the status of trails before you visit at rpvca.gov/trails.
- Follow all Preserve rules, regulations and posted access restrictions.
- Stay at least six 6 feet from others who are not members of your household at all times.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Pack out all trash.
- Don’t use trails that you know are crowded.
- Don’t leave your home if you are sick with a fever or respiratory symptoms or are currently under isolation or quarantine.
- Don’t gather in groups or linger at any one location except as needed for brief rests.
- Don’t share food or water while out on the trails.
- Dog Park Restrictions
- Playground Restrictions
- Tennis Court Restrictions
- Basketball Court Restrictions
The City of Rancho Palos Verdes has reopened all playgrounds in compliance with Los Angeles County’s revised Health Officer Order. All visitors to City playgrounds must comply with posted guidelines that outline the following requirements from the California Department of Public Health:
- Face masks over the mouth and nose are required for everyone 2 years of age or older with caregiver supervision at all times to ensure face mask use.
- Do not use the playground when different households are unable to maintain a physical distance of 6 feet.
- Caregivers must monitor to keep adults and children from different households at least 6 feet apart.
- Consider coming on different times or days to avoid wait times and potential crowded times.
- No eating or drinking in playground, to ensure face masks are worn at all times.
- Wash or sanitize hands before and after using the playground.
- Elderly and persons with underlying medical conditions should avoid playground when others are present.
- Limit visit to 30 min per day when others are present.
Due to a recent unrelated inspection of playground equipment by the City, some equipment will remain closed to the public until further notice so upgrades can be installed:
- Swings for ages 5-12 years at Hesse Park, Ryan Park, Ladera Linda Park, and Eastview Park
- Select playground structure elements, including slides and climbers at Hesse Park and Ladera Linda Park
A schedule for the remaining work is under development and will be shared as soon as it is available. The following equipment is open to the public:
- Playground structures at Hesse Park, Ryan Park, Ladera Linda Park, and Eastview Park
- Swings for ages 4 years and under at Eastview Park and Ryan Park
If you have questions, please contact the Recreation and Parks Department at 310-544-5260 or email@example.com.
Access common links to helpful information.
Look up information about our activities. Register for a class, workshop or event. Attend an upcoming event. Find out what's happening at your local park! Link to ActiveNet registration - https://apm.activecommunities.com/rpv/Home
Information on Trails and Open Spaces in Rancho Palos Verdes.
Drone Policy in RPV
Access information about renting city facilities.
These rules apply to any of the above parks and facilities, please review before planning your picnic at any of the parks.
Information on fishing areas and Marine Protected Areas, including tidepools.
Effective September 6, 2019, Alcohol cannot be consumed in City parks, Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, open space areas or beaches except during permitted events.
Check out upcoming volunteer events with the Recreation and Parks Department!
View the City's parks and facilities.
Los Serenos docent information.
Learn about the REACH Program, which is administered by the city.
View various projects related to City parks.
View and download documents pertaining to the city's master plan for its parks.
Healthy RPV programs like Open Gym, Healthy People Healthy Pets Expo, Movies in the Park series, plus recipes and exercise and sport classes at our parks!
This website allows the public to access the different donation options available, the application process and /or requirements.
Open gym is now open! Click here to learn more!
Sign up today for a spring class! Read on...
Earth Day ideas and Painting Rocks!! Read on...
Click on the Spring 2021 Recreation Activity Guide to find exciting spring activities! Additional Info...
Click here to view the latest exciting news and updates in the City of Rancho Palos Verdes! Additional Info...