Green Hills Memorial Park Master Plan
Major Grading Permit Proposal in Area 2
In September 2020, Green Hills Memorial Park representatives submitted application materials and plans (Case No. PLGR2020-0015) to the Planning Division in order to conduct 2,200 cubic yards of grading (1,100 cubic yards of cut and 1,100 cubic yards of fill) in Area 2 of the Master Plan. The proposed grading is to accommodate the installation of earth internments in the Alta Vista Gardens area (Inspiration Slope).
Planning Division staff is currently in the process of reviewing the application materials and proposed plan. A copy of the proposed grading plans are available for review below:
On December 10, 2020, the Community Development Department issued a notice to the public providing notification of the proposed project and outlining the public comment period. A copy of the public notice is available for review below:
For questions, please contact Deputy Director/ Planning Manager, Octavio Silva at (310) 544-5234 or via email at email@example.com.
- 2018 Annual Review
- Area 2
- 2017 Annual Review
- Arroyo Vista
- Bathroom & Info Booth Addition
- Gravestone Monuments
- PC 3/28/2017
- CC 1/31/2017
- CC 9/20/2016
- CC 8/2/2016
- CC 7/19/2016
- CC 5/17/2016
- CC 4/2/2016
- CC 3/15/2016
- Inspiration Slope Earth Interments
- Inspiration Slope Ret. Wall
- CC 11/17/2015
- CC 9/1/2015
- Area 5
- PC 5/12/2015
- PC 7/22/2014
City Council to Conduct an Annual Review
On March 19, 2019, the City Council received and filed report, determining that Green Hills Memorial Park is in compliance with the Conditions of Approval associated with Conditional Use Permit Number 55.
Watch/stream the video of the March 19th public hearing.
View the March 19th Staff Report (scroll down to Public Hearing Item Number 1)
View the Public Notice (PDF)
View the February 5th Staff Report (scroll down to Public Hearing Item Number 1)
City Council Appeal Hearing
On June 26, 2018, the Planning Commission adopted P.C. Resolution Number 2018-21, denying the appeal and upholding the Director's decision approving a Grading Permit to allow 424yd³ of balanced grading to accommodate the installation of vaults associated with earth interments, 3 feet tall walls, and benches in the unimproved portions of Alta Vista Gardens (Area 2). A timely appeal has been filed, requesting that the City Council overturn the Planning Commission's decision.
View the C.C. Staff Report (scroll down to Public Hearing Item Number 1)
P.C. Staff Report (scroll down to Item Number 2)
City Council Approves the 2017 Annual Compliance Review
On February 6, 2018, the City Council approved the 2017 annual review of the Applicant's compliance with all of the Conditions of Approval associated with the Master Plan.
View the Staff Report (scroll down to Public Hearing Item Number 2)
City Council denies an appeal and upholds the Planning Commission's decision to allow improvements at Arroyo Vista (vacant area behind the Administration Building)
On January 16, 2018, the City Council adopted Resolution Number 2018-03, denying an appeal and upholding the Planning Commission's approval of a Major Grading Permit, allowing Green Hills to conduct 41,200yd³ of balanced grading to accommodate the installation of vaults associated with earth interments, 3 feet tall walls, and water features in the unimproved portions of Arroyo Vista (Area 5 of the City Council-Approved Master Plan) at Green Hills Memorial Park.
Resolution Number 2018-03 (coming soon)
View the City Council Staff Report (Public Hearing Item Number 1)
View the Planning Commission Staff Report (scroll down to item Number 12)
View the Director-Approved Plans (PDF)
The Director approved the following:
1) Construction of a 12 feet tall, 119.5 feet ² addition at the center of the existing Administration Building to accommodate a new bathroom.
2) Expansion of the existing information booth at the entrance from 72.5 feet² to 123.25 feet² in size (50.75 feet² increase) and increase the structure height from 9.5 feet to 11 feet (1.5 feet increase).
Director Approves 6 FeetTall Gravestone Monuments
On April 11, 2017, the Director of Community Development approved a request to allow the installation of up to 1,571 upright custom gravestones throughout internal boundary limits of the cemetery, except St. Peter's Church yard and portions of Arroyo Vista, at a maximum height of the existing adjacent walls/hedges or 6 feet, whichever is lower, within existing private garden or family estates areas, and up to 6 feet in height within the St. Peter's Church yard.
Planning Commission Denies the Appeal and Upholds the Director's Decision
The Planning Commission considered an appeal to overturn the Director's decision to conditionally approve a Site Plan Review application to allow the construction of a combination wall up to 14.9 feet in height to accommodate additional niche and earth interments in the eastern edge of Vista Del Ponte; a water feature, additional earth interments supported by a 14.9 feet tall combination wall and a stairway that will provide access to the upper existing burial area of Vista Del Ponte and Inspiration Slope; and 793 cubic yards of grading to support the proposed improvements. The Commission denied the appeal and upheld the Director's Decision.
- Commission-Approved Plans (PDF)
- Notice of Decision (PDF)
- View the March 28, 2017 Staff Report (scroll down to Item 3)
- View the January 24, 2017 Staff Report (scroll down to Item 5)
- View the November 29, 2016 Staff Report (scroll down to Item 6)
- Public Notice (PDF)
- Appeal (PDF)
- Notice of Decision (PDF)
- Staff Report (PDF)
- Director-Approved Plans (PDF)
Annual Review - January 31, 2017
On January 31, 2017, the City Council adopted Resolution 2017-03, thereby approving revisions to the conditions of approval as part of the Annual Review for the Green Hills Memorial Park Master Plan Conditional Use Permit.
View the Council-Approved Conditions of Approval (PDF) (Resolution Number 2017-03)
View the City Attorney's Response Letter to Noel's Weiss' email (PDF) dated December 16, 2016
September 20, 2016 City Council Meeting
On September 20, 2016, the City Council received and filed a report on the City Attorney's determination regarding a requested Administrative Interpretation Procedure relating to vault storage and rooftop burials at the Inspiration Slope Mausoleum.
View the Staff Report (Scroll Down to Consent Calendar Item E)
August 2, 2016 City Council Meeting
On August 2nd, the City Council received and filed a report addressing the following concerns raised by the public at the previous meeting on July 19th: on-site security; adverse impacts resulting from a recent burial service; and mold and odor observed at the back of the Pacific Terrace Memorial Mausoleum (facing the Vista Verde Condominiums) at Green Hills Memorial Park.
Staff Report (scroll down to Consent Calendar Item R)
Green Hills may Bury Vaults on the Rooftop of the Inspiration Slope Mausoleum Building
On July 19, 2016, the City Council received and filed a report related to Waiver of Claims executed by the City and Green Hills Cemetery. With this waiver, Green Hills may now bury the concrete vaults on the rooftop of Inspiration Slope Mausoleum. However, Green Hills may not perform rooftop burials without first obtaining approval from the City through a public hearing process.
City Council Receives and Files a Report
On May 17, 2016, the City Council received and filed a report on setbacks for niches and vaults inside the Pacific Terrace/Memorial Terrace Mausoleum.
- Staff Report (scroll down to item J)
City Council Receives and Files a Report
On March 15, 2016, the City Council received and filed an update on the following matters: setbacks of ground burial plots from the north property line, Inspiration Slope Mausoleum building height, and grades in Areas 5 and 6.
Earth Interments Approved Around Inspiration Slope Mausoleum BuildingGreen Hills submitted plans requesting ground burials around the Inspiration Slope Mausoleum building. No rooftop burial plots are proposed on the Inspiration Slope Mausoleum building at this time. Planning Division found these plans to be in substantial compliance with the Master Plan and consistent with the grades shown in the 2013 approved plans, and therefore, administratively approved the ground burials in this area.
Retaining Wall Approved at Inspiration Slope
On March 1, 2016, the Planning Division granted approval for a retaining wall that contains niches for cremated remains around the northwest corner of the Inspiration Slope Mausoleum building that's currently under construction. The retaining wall will average 8 feet in height with guardrails and pilasters on top, shaped as an upside-down "L" that wraps around the northwest corner of the building. The retaining wall will be below existing grade with the guardrails/pilasters visible above grade. As part of this approval, the grades will be re-contoured around the retaining wall, then continue to blend in with the existing grades beyond. The existing stockpile spread across further west of the building will be used as fill and any remaining material will be moved to Areas 5 and 6 (southwesterly area) of the property.
City Council Approves Compliance Review for Green Hills Memorial Park with Modifications, allowing Pacific Memorial Terrace Mausoleum to Remain and Amending the Master Plan
On November 17, 2015, the City Council adopted Resolution No. 2015-102, upholding in part and modifying in part the Planning Commission's decision approving the compliance review for the Green Hills Cemetery and allowing Pacific Memorial Terrace Mausoleum (Area 11 of the Master Plan) to continue in accordance with its 2007 approvals and amending the Master Plan.
Appeal Hearing of the Planning Commission's November 11, 2014 Decision as a Result of an Operational Review
On September 1, 2015, the City Council took the following actions: 1) Uphold the Planning Commission's decision requiring the submission of a variance application by Green Hills to seek approval of the existing Pacific Terrace Mausoleum.
2) Uphold the Planning Commission's decision to require the submission of a variance application by Green Hills to allow 13 existing below ground interments and 6 additional below ground companion interments in the northwest corner of the Green Hills Cemetery.
3) Partially grant the Green Hills appeal by revising certain conditions of approval, as amended and presented by the City Attorney, and amending the Green Hills Master Plan; with a clarification that the last row of plots on the rooftop of the mausoleum not be utilized or sold.
4) Implement a moratorium on burials in plots that have been sold but are currently unoccupied, and allow burials in companion plots that already have one individual interred.
The resolutions as approved by Council will be brought back for adoption at the next meeting.
Lawn Crypts over a Portion of Arroyo Vista (Area 5)
Plans were submitted to improve the southwest portion of Arroyo Vista (formally known as Lake View Garden - Area 5) with below ground lawn crypts. These plans were found to be consistent with the Planning Commission approved 2007 Master Plan Amendment. As no building permits are required, work is anticipated to begin shortly.
Planning Commission Approves Driveway Expansions for Emergency Vehicle and ADA Access
On May 12, 2015, the Planning Commission adopted P.C. Resolution Number 2015-09, allowing the widening of the driveway (portion of Arroyo Drive) south of the Administration Building for emergency vehicle access; expanding the recessed parking area to the north of the building for adequate ADA access; relocating one parking space and removing one parking space; 325 cubic yards of additional grading; and allowing the temporary modular buildings to remain on site an additional 9 months, until April 22, 2017.
Planning Commission Approves Expansions to the Administration Building
On July 22, 2014, the Planning Commission granted an approval for following: 1) construction of 3,323ft² of single-story office additions and a 693.5ft² covered walkway extension to the administrative building; 2) allowing the temporary modular buildings to remain on site until January 22, 2016 or until prior to obtaining a Certificate of Occupancy for the office additions, whichever comes first; and 3) reconfiguration of the parking area to add 23 new parking spaces. The plans are currently in the plan check process and construction is anticipated to begin in mid-2015.
- March 27, 2019 NAC CANCELLED (PDF)
- December 17, 2018 NAC Summary Report (PDF)
- October 15, 2018 NAC Summary Report (PDF)
- June 6, 2018 NAC Summary Report (PDF)
- April 11, 2018 NAC Summary Report (PDF)
- December 12, 2017 NAC Summary Report (PDF)
- September 11, 2017 NAC Summary Report (PDF)
- June 19, 2017 NAC Summary Report (PDF)
- March 24, 2017 NAC Summary Report (PDF)
Green Hills' Quarterly Newsletter
Maps Submitted Prior to Recordation with LA County
- St Peters Church Yard - Urns (May 2018) (PDF)
- Emerald Gardens - Lawn Crypts (March 2018) (PDF)
- Inspiration Slope - Niches inside Mausoleum (PDF)
- Inspiration Slope - Lawn Crypts (February 2018) (PDF)
- Niches Addition to Wall Niches Addition to the Amended Map of Inspiration Slope Mausoleum (April 2020).pdf
- Niches Addition to Amended (Crypts Renumbered) Map & Niches Addition to Pacific Terrace Mausoleum Phase 1(4-20).pdf
- 3rd Niches Addition to the Amended Map Inspiration Slope Mausoleum (April 2020).pdf
- Bellezza Cove 2nd Niches Addition to the Amended Map (April 2020).pdf
- Garden of Reflection Lakeside Garden (April 2020).pdf
- Niches Addition Parkview Terrace Mausoleum (April 2020).pdf
- Sanctuary of Light IV Addition Parkview Terrace Mausoleum (April 2020).pdf
- Sanctuary of Rest IV Addition Parkview Terrace Mausoleum (April 2020).pdf
- Arroyo Falls Phase 1 (April 2020).pdf
List Server Group
If you would like to be placed on an "interested parties" list to receive any future public hearing notices related to the Green Hills Master Plan project via e-mail, you may subscribe by joining the list server group.
- What are the allowed construction hours?
- Are the existing ground interments closer than the required 8' setback from the north property line?
- Are there any noise restrictions?
- Is the Inspiration Slope Mausoleum building height taller than what was depicted by the temporary silhouette that was installed on site in 2013?
- Did the grade elevations in Areas 5 and 6 (vacant area southwest of property) change?