Building & Safety
Over-the-counter plan check is available from 7:45 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
The City of Rancho Palos Verdes requires applicants to furnish 2 hard copies and an electronic copy, in the form of a CD, for submitted geotechnical reports.
The Building and Safety Division’s focus is on building construction safety through the implementation and enforcement of construction standards and codes. The Building and Safety division functions include checking plans for compliance with all of the applicable codes, issuing building permits, and conducting inspections of the construction projects as they progress to ensure that the code standards are met and that the project is constructed in accordance with the approved plans. In addition, the division coordinates with the city’s geological consultants on the review of geology and soils reports for new construction projects.
Reporting Code Violations
Construction violations or concerns should be reported to the owner, contractor, and/or the the Rancho Palos Verdes Building Division at 310-265-7800. If the violation occurs after hours or on a weekend / holiday, please call the Sheriffs' Department at 310-539-1661.
State Construction Codes
The City of Rancho Palos Verdes adopts State construction codes, which are implemented by the Building Safety Division. Title 15 of the city’s Municipal Code contains the Building and Construction standards, and incorporates some specific amendments to the state codes as adopted by the city.
Current Code Versions
The following is a list of the current code versions used by the city:
- 2016 California Building Code based on the 2015 International Building Code
- 2016 California Electrical Code based on the 2014 National Electrical Code
- 2016 California Green Building Standards Code
- 2016 California Mechanical Code based on the 2015 Uniform Mechanical Code
- 2016 California Plumbing Code based on the 2015 Uniform Plumbing Code
- 2016 California Residential Code based on the 2015 International Building Code
- 2016 California Title 24 Energy Standards
- 2016 Triennial Edition of the California Building Standards Code, Title 24
Please note that online access is provided courtesy of the 3 entities that publish the codes: International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (IAPMO), National Fire Protection Agency / BNi Books, and the International Code Council (ICC). Consequently, the online versions vary slightly in format.