Animal Control


On December 15, 2020, it was determined that, due to limited staffing resulting from COVID-19 exposures, DACC would be limiting services at specific animal care centers. DACC continues to be informed of additional exposures, limitations may be expanded to additional animal care centers over the coming weeks. Service limitations may include:

1.    Reductions in the performance of spay and neuter surgeries.

2.    Limitation of field service responses to priority calls, and some delays in after-hours response. Priority calls to which we will respond include such complaints as dangerous dogs at large, injured animals, wild animals posing a threat to public safety, and law enforcement requests for assistance.

Los Angeles County Department of Animal Care and Control will continue to serve the public from our care centers ensuring lost pets are reunited with owners and pets are adopted to new homes. For more information and latest information please visit:

Effective July 1, 1998, the City of Rancho Palos Verdes entered into a service contract with the Los Angeles County Department of Animal Care and Control (LACDACC) to provide complete animal care and control services for the city.

These services include:

  • 24-hour live operator assistance
  • Dead animal pick-up
  • Humane education
  • Injured animal pick-up and care
  • Investigation of cruelty complaints
  • Investigation of dangerous dogs
  • Low-cost spaying and neutering
  • Low-cost vaccinations
  • Pet licensing
  • Response to excessive barking and noise complaints
  • Stray animal pick-up and patrol

Dog Licensing

Dog licenses are available at the County Animal Shelter / Care Center, by calling 562-345-0400, or by downloading the application online. The city and county host an annual dog licensing and rabies clinic generally in the month of June at the Rancho Palos Verdes City Hall.


Dog license fees are $60 for an unaltered dog and $20 for a dog that has been spayed/neutered (a certificate of sterility from a veterinarian is required as proof).

Found Animals

If the dog or cat has a license or an ID tag, you can call the phone number listed on the tag to make contact with the owner. If you cannot contact the owner or if the animal is not wearing a tag, the law requires that you turn in the animal to the animal control agency that serves the area where you found the animal. By doing so, you will increase the chances of the owner finding his/her lost pet. Many well-meaning people keep lost pets at their homes, not realizing the animal's owner is looking for the stray pet at the animal shelter.

Finding Your Pet

If your pet is wearing a current license of the ID tag, the County Animal Care and Control Department will make every effort to notify you and reunite you with your pet. You are encouraged to visit the animal shelter at 216 W Victoria Avenue in Carson to look for your lost pet.

Animals picked up within the city's jurisdiction will be taken to this shelter and cared for. Be sure to check all areas of the shelter and ask about any injured animals that may have been taken to a veterinarian or that were picked up dead off the street. Be sure to leave information about your lost pet on the shelter's lost/found bulletin board. It's always helpful if you bring a current photo if you have one.

Contact Us

  1. Los Angeles County Animal Care Center

    216 W Victoria
    Gardena, CA 90248

    Phone: 310-523-9566
    Emergency: 911


    (Closed Holidays)
    Monday through Thursday
    Noon to 7 p.m.

    Friday and Sunday
    10 a.m. to 5 p.m.