Anonymous Fraud, Waste and Abuse Hotline Reporting

How do I report Fraud, Waste and Abuse?

The Fraud, Waste and Abuse hotline takes reports anonymously, either online or by telephone by City employees or members of the public.

What exactly is fraud, waste and abuse?

The hotline is only used for reports of fraud, waste and abuse involving City processes or committed by City employees. The City is committed to immediately resolving cases of fraud, waste and abuse. In order to most quickly solve any concern, we have listed the various reporting mechanisms below.

Examples of reports that can be filed on the hotline:

  • Theft of equipment or supplies by City employees
  • Theft of time by City employees
  • Kickbacks or illegal gratuity paid to City employees
  • Financial or accounting irregularities
  • False reporting of expenses or purchases by City employees

Call 855-219-2489 or begin an online report.

Anonymous Fraud, Waste and Abuse Hotline

Reports that should be filed a different way.

Reports involving the City Council

Reports involving City Council or Commission Members should be filed either with the California Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) or the Los Angeles County District Attorney (LADA) Click the link below that most matches your complaint to be taken to the appropriate page:

Reports involving Safety or Employee Relations

Report immediately to the City HR Manager at 310-544-5331, or the City Manager at 310-544-5202.

  • Discrimination and Sexual Harassment
  • Customer Relations
  • Sexual Harassment
  • Threats of Violence in the Workplace
  • Safety Concerns

Reports involving Maintenance issues

Report to the Public Works Department by calling 310-544-5252, or by pressing the Green "City Service Request" button at the bottom of the page.

  • Overflowing trash or unsanitary park conditions
  • Cracked sidewalks, streets, curbs or potholes
  • Overwatering in City parks or standing water during a storm
  • Graffiti