What can I do to protect myself and my family?
The first thing to do, if you do not already know, is to get you and your family tested for allergies to bee stings. This is especially important for children. If you are allergic to bees, 1 sting can kill you.

The next thing to do is to have your property checked for and cleared of areas that may harbor Africanized bee colonies. Check the exterior of your home and all accessory buildings for openings that may allow the bees to enter. Seal up all crack and openings that are greater than 1/8 inch is size. Along the foundation, especially where utilities enter the building, should be checked and patched or sealed, if necessary, to prevent entry. Carefully inspect wood piles, masonry walls or any areas where equipment or unused items area stored outdoors. Be sure to check all outdoor areas where pets or other animal are kept, since confined pets are unable to run away if attacked by bees. You may wish to hire a professional exterminator conduct the property inspection.

If you encounter a bee colony during a search of your property - leave it alone - and report it immediately to Los Angeles County West Vector Control by calling 310-915-7370. Do not, under any circumstances, attempt to destroy the colony on your own.

For more information, visit this page:Protection from Africanized Honey Bees

Show All Answers

1. Where did Africanized Honey Bees come from?
2. What makes Africanized honey bees dangerous?
3. What can I do to protect myself and my family?