What should I do if I have concerns about my property?

Per Ready.Gov, if you are worried about land movement on your property, look for signs of potential land activity, such as cracks or bulges in the ground, street pavement, or sidewalks; soil moving away from foundations; tilting of patios or foundations; broken water lines; or leaning telephone poles, trees, walls, or fences. Watch for slow-moving landslides, or earthflows, that pose threats to property:

  • Changes occur in your landscape such as patterns of storm-water drainage on slopes (especially the places where runoff water converges) land movement, small slides, flows, or progressively leaning trees.
  • Doors or windows stick or jam for the first time.
  • New cracks appear in plaster, tile, brick or foundations.
  • Outside walls, walkways or stairs begin pulling away from the building.
  • Slowly developing, widening cracks appear on the ground or on paved areas such as streets or driveways.
  • Underground utility lines break.
  • Bulging ground appears at the base of a slope.
  • Water breaks through the ground surface in new locations.
  • Fences, retaining walls, utility poles, or trees tilt or move.
  • The ground slopes downward in one direction and may begin shifting in that direction under your feet.

For urgent matters or observation of any sudden shifts on your property, please call 9-1-1. 

You may consider hiring a geologist to review the conditions of your property. Please note that the City’s geologist does not conduct site visits of private property that is not part of a development permit application. While the City does not make referrals or recommendations, the Building and Safety Division maintains a list of geotechnical engineers who work in the area, which is available on request. The Building and Safety Division can be reached at 310-544-5280 or buildingsafety@rpvca.gov.

Show All Answers

1. What’s happening and why?
2. How is the City responding?
3. What should I do if I have concerns about my property?
4. How do I stay prepared?
5. Does homeowners insurance cover land movement?
6. Why did the City close some trails in the Portguese Bend Reserve?
7. Which trails are currently closed?
8. Is there an estimated time when closed trails will reopen?