Requirements for Yard Signs
Residential real estate signs and yard signs are allowed in the city without a permit, pursuant to the standards set forth by Rancho Palos Verdes Municipal Code § 17.75.
Yard Signs on Residential Properties
Signs placed on private properties proclaiming "For Rent," "For Lease," "Open House," or "For Sale" are allowed without a permit, provided they meet the following guidelines:
- Maximum Structure Height:
- Inverted 'L' signs shall not exceed 6 feet measured from the lowest grade
- All other yard signs shall not exceed 3 feet measured from the lowest grade
- Individual sign faces shall not exceed 5 square feet.
- Signs shall not encroach or hang over public walkways or trails and shall be placed no less than 2 feet from vehicular travel lanes.
Requirements for Signs on Public Property
- Signs may only be placed in Parkways. In the absence of parkways, signs, may be placed on unimproved public property within the right-of-way, provided the signs do not obstruct the passage of pedestrians or vehicles, do not interfere with traffic visibility, and are a minimum of 2 feet from vehicular travel lanes.
- Signs are prohibited on street medians
- Only A-frame signs are permitted
- No flags, balloons, pennants, or any other attachment permitted
Sign Placement Hours:
- Signs may be placed on weekdays between 11:00 am and 6:00 pm
- Signs may be placed on weekends between 9:00 am and 6:00 pm
- All signs shall be removed by 6:00 pm daily
To Place Signs in the City Right-of-Way:
- Applicants are required to provide a release of liability and indemnity agreement and proof of adequate insurance with the City.
- Realtors must have a business license.
Download the flyer: Sign Code 17.75 PDF