Duplication of Building Plans

Viewing plans and permits

Building plans and permits are public records available for viewing during regular working hours at the Community Development Services counter. In addition, most recent permits issued are available for viewing online.

Distribution of plans to the public

All structures start as architectural drawings created and designed by an architect or engineer. These design professionals own copyrights and approval rights on any duplicates made. To protect the design professional's rights against misuse of the plans. In order to duplicate any portion of a plan on file, the City is compelled to seek compliance with California Health and Safety Code Sections 19850-19853

Procedure for Requesting Duplication of Building Plans (PDF)

1. Contact the Building Division to confirm the plans you would like to request are available. You can call 310-544-5280 or email buildingsafety@rpvca.gov

2.Obtain authorization from the Property Owner: (We will NOT release plans until permission is granted by the current property owner.

3.Consent from design professionals: Plans that have been signed and stamped by a certified, licensed, or registered design professional require written permission for release from the professional. The individual requesting the copies may attempt on his/her own accord to obtain a release from the owner and architect. Once the releases are presented to the City, copies of the plans will be made within 10 days of receipt of the affidavits. City staff will notify you if your request requires consent from a design professional. You can do this by completing this affidavit for permission to copy building plans form [PDF] and upload the form along with your request. 

4.For an additional fee the Building Division will send the completed affidavit to the design professional by a registered letter requesting their permission to duplicate the official copy of the plans via certified mail. The registered letters will be sent to the most recent address of the professional available from the California State Board of Architectural Examiners or the California State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors. The design professional has up to 30 days (60 days if special circumstances apply) to respond to the reproduction request. A 10 day turnaround time frame to make the copies will then take effect once a response has been received or the 30-60 day response time frame has expired, whichever occurs first. please submit the letter, affidavit, an initial $500.00 Trust Deposit to cover staff’s time to conduct the necessary research, and the fee for reproduction of the plans.

a. If you are the Property Owner and the Applicant, you will be required to fill out the Affidavit Request for Duplication of Copyrighted Plans and get it notarized.

b. For new property owners - please provide a copy of the recorded grant deed. 

c. If you are NOT the Property Owner, you will be required to contact the Property Owner and have him/her fill out the Authorization of Agent to Act on Property Owner's Behalf (page 3)

5.You must complete the Affidavit Request for Duplication of Copyrighted Plans, get it notarized and present that along with the Authorization of Agent to Act on Property Owner's Behalf (page 3). We will also accept a letter from the property owner giving you permission to request the plans, and for us to release them to you on their behalf.

6. We will process your request within 72 business hours of submittal.