RPV's Street Sweeping
In FY 2023-24 SB-1 funding for local streets and roads and Measure W funding for Storm Water Quality will be used to pay for Street Sweeping Services. Below, please find the resolution approving the SB-1 project expenditure for street sweeping.
- Resolution No. 2023-29: A Resolution of the City Council of the City of Rancho Palos Verdes Approving the Roadway Asset Management Program (PDF)
- Letter to State of California - California Transportation Commission (Local Streets and Roads Program) (PDF)
Frequency of Street Sweeping
- The City's residential streets are divided into different areas and each area is swept twice per month (24 times a year).
- RESIDENTIAL STREET SWEEPING MAP/SCHEDULE (click on this link for map).
- Residential sweeping is typically scheduled either a day or two after, or several days before trash collection days when the streets are devoid of any trash or recycling carts. For optimum results, please remove all trash/recycling cans from the curb after collection and temporarily remove parked cars from the curb on sweeping days.
- Residential sweeping hours are from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm.
Non-Residential (Commercial) :
- Major and Minor Aterial Streets, City parking lots and Scenic Turnouts are swept twice a month (24 times a year).
- NON-RESIDENTIAL STREET SWEEPING SCHEDULE(click on this link for map).
- Western Avenue is swept weekly (54 times a year).
- Non-Residential sweeping is conducted at night between 10 pm and 6 am when the streets are typically empty of traffic or parked cars, and optimum results can be achieved.
Reasons for Street Sweeping
- Removes trash and debris from the streets and gutters, which prevents those materials from entering the storm drains and then the ocean. This stormwater pollution prevention action is a NPDES mandate.
- Prevents accumulation of standing water which assists in controlling West Nile Virus.
- Removes brake dust and other harmful airborne particles which improves air quality.
- Street sweepers are alternative fuel CNG Trucks equipped with a water system to minimize the control dust. They meet SCAQMD standards and are certified.
- The speed while sweeping is approximate 8 miles per hour to increase equality of cleanliness.
To maximize the City's street sweeping efforts Nationwide Environmental Services, the City's street sweeping company, has the following requests from RPV residents:
- Keep streets free and clear of anything that may obstruct the street sweeper such as vehicles, trash cans, basketball hoops, etc. Know your area's sweeping day and notify your neighborhood via email, neighborhood newsletter or word of mouth. Check the City website, under Public Works for your scheduled monthly date.
- Report any and all adverse conditions such as low hanging trees, shifted gutters & potholes, excessive standing water, etc.
X Don't sweep yard clippings and debris into the street.
X Don't wash your cars or driveway with excessive water.
X Don't leave empty trash cans at the curb overnight.
If you have any questions regarding the City's street sweeping please contact EDCO, the sweeping contract administrator, at 310- 540-2977, or Public Works Department at 310-544-5252, or email Public Works.