WiFi Warning, Disclaimer and Terms
Access to the Service
The City of Rancho Palos Verdes provides free wireless Internet in select City facilities (“Service”). "RPV-Guest" wireless network lets you access the Internet without cables or wires on your privately owned laptop computer, personal digital assistant (“PDA”), or any WiFi enabled device. As the configuration of each manufacturer's device is unique, please refer to your device’s documentation for connection instructions. The City of will not be responsible for assisting you in making changes to your devices, or to assist in connecting to the free WiFi.
Acceptable Use of the Service
The City of supports the free flow of information and ideas over the Internet. Although the City of has and accepts no obligation to monitor your use of the Service, nor edit or censor content transmitted (via e-mail, downloading, uploading, posting, or otherwise) through the Service, your access to the Service is conditioned on legal and appropriate use of the Service. Your use of the Service and any activities conducted online through the Service shall not violate any applicable law or regulation or the rights of the City of , its hosts, or any third party.
The use of the Service for the following activities is prohibited:
- Sending of unsolicited bulk and/or commercial messages over the Internet using the Service or using the Service for activities that invade another's privacy.
- Engaging in any activity that infringes or misappropriates the intellectual property rights of others, including patents, copyrights, trademarks, service marks, trade secrets, or any other proprietary right of any third party.
- Using the City of Rancho Palos Verdes' network to advertise, solicit, transmit, store, post, display, or otherwise make available obscene or indecent images or other materials. This includes posting or sharing of images or recordings of any kind of an intimate nature, with or without the subjects’ permission. The City of Rancho Palos Verdes will notify and fully cooperate with law enforcement if it becomes aware of any use of the Service in any connection with child pornography or the solicitation of sex with minors, and with any investigation into images or recordings of any kind of an intimate nature posted or shared without the permission of the subjects of the images or recordings.
- Using the Service to transmit, post, upload, or otherwise make available defamatory, harassing, abusive, or threatening material or language, including hate speech, that encourages bodily harm, destruction of property, or harasses another.
- Forging or misrepresenting message headers, whether in whole or in part, to mask the originator of the message.
- Accessing illegally or without authorization computers, accounts, equipment or networks belonging to another party, or attempting to penetrate security measures of another system. This includes any activity that may be used as a precursor to an attempted system penetration, including, but not limited to, port scans, stealth scans, or other information gathering activity.
- Distributing information regarding the creation of and sending Internet viruses, worms, Trojan Horses, pinging, flooding, mailbombing, or denial of service attacks. Also, activities that disrupt the use of or interfere with the ability of others to effectively use the node or any connected network, system, service, or equipment.
- The transfer of technology, software, or other materials in violation of applicable export laws and regulations, including but not limited to the U.S. Export Administration Regulations and Executive Orders.
- Using the Service in violation of applicable laws and regulations, including, but not limited to, advertising, transmitting, or otherwise making available ponzi schemes, pyramid schemes, fraudulently charging credit cards, pirating software, or making fraudulent offers to sell or buy products, items, or services.
- The sale, transfer, or rental of the Service to customers, clients or other third parties, either directly or as part of a service or product created for resale.
Notice of Violations of the Acceptable Use Policy or of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act
The City of requests that anyone who believes that there is a violation of the Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) direct the information to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Agent to Receive Notification of Copyright Infringement Claims - The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (the "DMCA") provides recourse for copyright owners who believe that material posted on Internet sites infringes their rights under U.S. copyright law. If you believe in good faith that items, information or other materials appearing on the Service infringes your copyright, you (or your agent) may send the City of designated agent a notice requesting that the item, information or material be removed, or access to it blocked. You can contact the City of designated agent at: email@example.com
Disclaimer and Release
You acknowledge (i) that the Service may not be uninterrupted or error-free; (ii) that viruses or other harmful applications may be available through the Service; (iii) that the City of does not guarantee the security of the Service and that unauthorized third parties may access your computer or files or otherwise monitor your connection; (iv) that the City of and its Internet host’s ability to provide the Service without charge is based on the limited warranty, disclaimer and limitation of liability specified in this section and it would require a substantial charge if any of these provisions were unenforceable. The Service and any products or services provided on or in connection with the Service are provided on an "as is," "as available" basis without warranties of any kind. All warranties, conditions, representations, indemnities, and guarantees with respect to the content or service and the operation, capacity, speed, functionality, qualifications, or capabilities of the services, goods, or personnel resources provided hereunder, whether express or implied, arising by law, custom, prior oral or written statements by the City of , or otherwise (including, but not limited to any warranty of satisfactory quality, merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement), are hereby overridden, excluded, and disclaimed. Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of certain warranties, so the above exclusions may not apply to you.
You hereby agree to release and forever discharge the City, and its officials, employees, representatives, agents, insurers, attorneys, and all persons and entities acting by, through, under, or in concert with any of them, from any and all claims, charges, complaints, contracts, understandings, liabilities, obligations, promises, benefits, agreements, controversies, costs, losses, debts, expenses, damages, actions, causes of action, suits, rights, and demands of any nature whatsoever, known or unknown, suspected or unsuspected, which you now have or may acquire in the future, relating to or arising out of your use of the City’s free WiFi.
You acknowledge and agree that YOUR USE OF THIS SERVICE IS SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK. By using the Service (clicking I Accept), you agree to all terms set forth.