Does homeowners insurance cover land movement?

News reports underscore that land movement-related damages are not usually covered by most homeowners insurance policies. Now may be a good time to re-read your policy. While understanding the nuances of your insurance coverage is essential, generally, homeowners insurance policies in California offer coverage for accidental physical loss to property, but with certain exclusions and limitations. Standard exclusions often include damages from floods, earth movements, earthquakes, landslides, mudflows, etc. You may have read that a specialized difference in conditions (DIC) policy can secure coverage against land movement. However, it is City staff’s understanding that these policies are nearly impossible to find, available only from large brokers who sell commercial insurance, extremely expensive, and/or may not be currently available in Southern California. Please note that these DIC policies are different from DIC policies that are paired with FAIR Plan policies to fill gaps in coverage. Residents are encouraged to contact the California Department of Insurance with any homeowners insurance questions they may have at 1-800-927-4357 or by going to

Show All Answers

1. What’s happening and why?
2. How is the City responding?
3. What should I do if I have concerns about my property?
4. How do I stay prepared?
5. Does homeowners insurance cover land movement?
6. Why did the City close some trails in the Portguese Bend Reserve?
7. Which trails are currently closed?
8. Is there an estimated time when closed trails will reopen?