Do I Need a Permit?
DO I NEED A PERMIT?
The answer is yes, in California, you more than likely do need a permit. A better question to ask is what doesn’t require a permit. Whether or not you need a permit, we are here to help you navigate the process. Click here to see when a Building Permit is Required.
When equipment replacements and repairs must be performed in an emergency situation, the permit application shall be submitted within the next working business day to the Building & Safety Department.
Some types of repairs are exempt, and some aren't.
A common statement heard at the counter after one has received a Stop Work notice is: “I was only doing repairs, and my contractor told me repairs don’t require a permit.” While we are sure that your contractor means well, he may not know RPV's code's. It is always better to check with us before you begin work. WORK EXEMPT FROM PERMIT'S can be viewed by clicking here.
Outside of repairs, the following common types of minor work do not require a permit:
- Listed cord-and-plug connected temporary decorative lighting.
- Reinstallation of attachment plugs receptacles but not the outlets themselves.
- Replacement of branch circuit overcurrent devices (fancy terms for breakers) of the required capacity in the same location.
- Electrical wiring, devices, appliances, apparatus or equipment operating at less than 25 volts and not capable of supplying more than 50 watts of energy (i.e. low voltage computer equipment)
- The stopping of leaks in drains, water, soil, waste or vent pipe. If any concealed trap, drainpipe, water, soil, waste or vent pipes become defective and it becomes necessary to remove and replace the same with the new material, such work shall be considered as new work and a permit shall be obtained and inspection made as provided in the code.
- The clearing of stoppages or the repairing of leaks in pipes, valves or fixtures and the removal and reinstallation of water closets (fancy term for toilets), provided such repairs do not involve or require the replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes or fixtures.
- Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment or make such equipment unsafe.
Building & Safety
Inspection RequestPhone: 310-544-5279
30940 Hawthorne Boulevard
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90275
Monday through Thursday
7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (closed noon to 1 p.m.)
7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (closed noon to 1 p.m.)
Monday through Friday
7:30 to 8:30 a.m.
4 p.m. to Closing
Allowable Construction Hours
Monday through Friday
7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Sunday or Legal Holidays
No work allowed, unless a Special Construction Permit is obtained at least 48 hours before work is to begin.